It’s Easier Done Right

This message brought to you by Captain Obvious.

But seriously, sometimes you just have to make do with what you have at hand until you have time to get the actual things you need to do the project. That is why (after stringing 350 tiny beads only to find out the yarn was not exactly strong enough to hold them all being pushed along with each few stitches) I spent a week or so threading dental floss through individual stitches to thread a bead on each stitch of a project I can’t quite show yet considering it is a surprise Christmas gift. But I can show you the painstaking process in progress:

Annoying, but effective if you have floss lying around and not a tiny crochet hook. But I kept avoiding working on this project because, again, 350 beads plus having to go through that whole thing for each individual one equals not exactly fun. So I finally hoofed it on over to Michael’s (is it still hoofing it if you ride a bike? I have no clue), and got myself a size 12 crochet hook. Much better, much faster, much less frustrating.

I get the bead, make the stitch, and thread the bead all in one smooth motion. Definitely going to save my sanity on a project which actually has 700 beads. The 350 is just for this half.

Clothespin Mess

That’s what I had on my hands after using my new clothespins for the first time. They had been packed so nice and neatly in their plastic tray, and then I just didn’t feel like trying to stack them all back up.

Easiest solution? Throw them in a bag. Only problem was, I didn’t have a bag like that lying around. So I made one.

Basic instructions (I didn’t write down anything as I was doing it, so very minimal instructions) are on the Ravelry project page. It has a drawstring closure

and sits pretty well when it is full.

It was actually a pretty easy project to figure out in an afternoon, so hopefully my vague instructions aren’t too confusing.

A Minty Hat

Because doesn’t that pattern in those colors make you think of mint leaves?

This is the Zooey by Cassandra Dominick. I made it from doubled fingering weight superwash wool yarn I picked up in Paris this summer. I used US size 9 needles for the body and size 6 for the ribbing.

Okay, technical stuff out of the way, this hat was super easy and quick to knit. Also the yarn I used was super soft, so that’s a plus. I actually “turned the pattern around” by knitting from the top down because I wasn’t sure if I would have enough, but I only used one ball of the main color and about a fifth of the ball of each contrasting color. I’m thinking matching finger-less gloves out of single weight may be coming about soon. Well, soon-ish. I have a ton of other things in line in my mind before I can start yet another project.

Now I only have to wait another two months for it to be cold enough to wear this…