Looming Dragons

No video this week. At least, not one I made. But I did make something else. Two somethings else.

Hiccup (who is not hugging a tub of barbeque sauce in this picture):

Which I made using this helpful video:

That was an hour yesterday, then today I spent an hour and a half on this little guy:

He comes from this video (because there is no way I wanted to figure this out on my own):

NaBloPoMo November 2014

A Hat, Half A Glove, And A Mess

That is where my christmas projects stand. Granted, the one that is a mess is only a mess because I have to weave in nine million ends when I am finished. But it is looking like a stormtrooper on the outside which is what counts. Well, two stormtroopers which is why there are so many tiny ends hanging out.

I feel like this is fairly good progress in getting everything done by Christmas. You know, as long as I actually keep working at this pace.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

Christmas Present Progress

I have four presents wrapped! Granted they are (mostly) ones I bought, not ones I’m making. But, hey, I’ve bought two presents and found two others. A fifth is on the way, should arrive on Tuesday, so at least I am not waiting until the very last-minute. Black Friday hasn’t happened yet, so I’m still a bit on the early side. Plus I’m wrapping them as I get them, so I won’t be up all night wrapping them right before Christmas.

On the other side, I’ve got a hat finished, four sock ankles ready to add charted characters to (plus, you know, feet), and three stripes of a blanket that isn’t a Christmas present. I’m getting ready to cast on a pair of mitts right now. You know, unless I decide to pull out the GameBoy instead…Yeah, I’ll cast those mitts on tomorrow…

NaBloPoMo November 2014

Sorting Squares

I finished my squares for my blanket project a couple weeks ago, and now I am on to the sorting and blanketifying process. (Let’s all just pretend that is a real word and move on, shall we.) The sorting process is moving much quicker than the knitting or end weaving processes.

I started by dumping them all out and splitting them by neutral, warm and cool colors so there would be less to separate in each group. Plus I had three bags to put these in and splitting them that way made the most sense.

Then I took each group and sorted by main color. IN this picture of the cool colors, I have purple, blue, and green, even though there are many different shades in each. Those piles were then separated further into their shades, counted, and bagged with the number on them.

Once I had them separated, I went ahead and roughly measured them to even further group them by size. This will come in handy when I go to join them together into blankets.

Of course, at first I neglected to realize my L-square actually measures from the outside edge so everything I was measuring was coming out an inch larger than it really was. I fixed that and catalogued all the colors and sizes in a nice little spreadsheet for even easier reference when I’m setting up the blankets.

Quick facts from the chart:

  • The most popular size of square was five inches by five inches
  • This was a little surprising since I set out to make four inch by four inch squares originally

  • The color that was made into the most squares was white.
  • The only color to not have a five by five square was teal.
  • I managed to only make the cornflower blue squares five inches by five inches.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

Charting and Ripping

Well, not that kind of ripping. Except maybe a little. Charting increases can get a little frustrating.

Don’t let this picture fool you, either. Ive gotten to, and past, that point at least three times by now. I stopped counting how many times I had to redo it. I keep getting to a certain point and having to rip the whole thing out and start over because I get off in the stitches and can’t figure out where.

This is going to be a Christmas present, so on one hand I have time and on the other I don’t. Once I get done with the crown increases it’s just simple knits and purls. It’s this crown that’s giving me the problem now.

NaBloPoMo November 2014