Experiments With Fabric Paint

As I explained Tuesday, I have a lot of birthday gifts to get made and I am doing test runs of the things I want to do. And today’s thing is spray-painting with fabric paint. I started by making a masking template out of contact paper.

Unfortunately, I only have clear contact paper. Makes it a little more difficult to see the positioning as the pieces are placed, but it worked out pretty well.

The only other problem is that I didn’t consider the contrast. So some of the lower letters get lost.

I think I’m going to try outlining the letters with my sharpies. If that doesn’t work, I’ll fill them in with black or white. Either way, I found out that, as long as I remember to press it down completely, the contact paper works. And that was what I wanted to find out.

A Week of Experimenting

June is a pretty busy birthday month around here. The first two weekends see two birthday parties, and as such I need to make some presents. Of course, I’m making some new things and have to make some test runs of techniques.

Like last night, when I made Oreo cookie pops from this Nerdy Nummies video. I started with the Baymax ones, then it wasn’t much of a jump to the Pok´mon and Pikachu designs.

Pikachu is basically the Baymax base without the M&Ms. I love how easy these are; so much easier than cake pops. A word of advice, though: You have to use at least the double stuffed cookies, and popsicle sticks work much better than lollipop sticks.

The Conclusion of the Bob’s Burgers Cross Stitch Saga

I wrote this last night. I sincerely tried to get it posted, but the Internet was hiding from the computers in our house between 4 and after 10:30 last night. So here it is, only a day late. As seems to be the case with everything associated with this project.

It feels like this project is haunting me. Currently typing this without Internet, almost like the ghost of projects past cut the Internet cable. Or, more likely, someone skidded on the slightly damp California road after this afternoon’s drizzle and smashed the transformer. Yeah, probably the latter.

Anyway, the Bob’s Burgers project. This is the first cross-stitch project I’ve ever “charted” on my own. Basically I just laid a grid over it and marked each box off as I went to keep track of where I was in the process. And I really need to keep track of where I was. I started the stitching on March 23 and finally finished on May 10. That means I spent over a month and a half on this project, but I was only a week late in mailing it.

It turned out pretty nicely, I think. Sure, a bit of the line work is wonky, but you have to remember that by the time I got around to that part I had drawn lines through most of the chart, so it was partially guessing. And for that I think it came out great. Also, considering it is probably just going to get tossed by the recipient to reuse the frame, I probably put way too much effort into it. But, as I told my mom, who cares if he likes it, I mainly made it for the Internet.

You can check out my Tumblr tag for the project for more in-progress photos.

I Wanted

To be able to show you the finished Bob’s Burgers cross-stitch piece. Because it is actually finished this time. Unfortunately, I did not let my auto-backup run long enough last night and I do not have the finished picture.This is the most recent picture, from last Saturday:

I finished this Sunday, so there is about a week of progress missing. Plus a few days in between as I found out a minute ago as I was updating my Tumblr queue. Hopefully all of those things show back up when I run the backup again this afternoon. I swear I will post it on Thursday and move on. Because, trust me, I am more than ready to move on to the next thing. Even though I don’t quite know what that will be, yet.

So Close

This should be about 18 hours away tomorrow:

 

Pretty obvious it won’t be. But I am trying to get it done. Trying. I really do like my sleep.