Krispie Turkeys

I was requested to make Frankensteins for a preschool Halloween Party back in October:

My tiny helper assisted in making the green Rice Krispie treats, and then was disappointed he wasn’t going to get any. So I made a promise that we would make turkeys at Thanksgiving.

I went to the dollar store to find some decorations, though we had eyes and Rice Krispies left from the last ones. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to find candy corn, so I was fully prepared to make feathers out of M&Ms. But at the register was the basket of Halloween candy marked down to 4 for $1. Perfect time to get some.

I added a dash of Nesquik into the marshmallows after they were melted so our turkeys would be brown, and we “glued” everything on with chocolate. We ran out of eyes about halfway through, so we used M&Ms instead. My helper even picked matching M&M eyes without me having to suggest it.

Mitts Week 2: Color Shift Fingerless Mitts

With a sick kiddo Tuesday and Wednesday, plus a school holiday on Friday, I’ve kind of been off-schedule all week. So this is a couple days late, but I did finish them on Friday.

This week’s mitts are knit in Chroma by Knit Picks in the discontinued “Buttermint” colorway. I cast on 50 stitches (in a different yarn) and knit for 6.5 inches. I grafted the ends together, except for the thumb hole which was ten stitches on each side that I bound off with a stretchy bind off.

These were so easy, and I had another bit of Chroma laying around, so I made a second pair as well. These are in the “Groovy” colorway.

Like I mentioned last week, I am putting these up on my Etsy store. I also post in-progress pictures all week long on Instagram and Twitter.

Winter Mitts

Since Inktober is over, I’ve decided to start another project. Not a daily one, this time, but a weekly one. I’ve done so little knitting this year that I’ve decided to make a pair of mitts a week now through Christmas.

View this post on Instagram

Working on something new today. #knitting

A post shared by Casey Kay B (@caseykayb) on

I decided to start with this yarn I had leftover from a Christmas present I made a few years ago that I had wanted to make myself mitts from since I finished said present. I didn’t use a pattern, but I based the design on the pattern I used for those original mitts.

It starts with a garter knit band around the hand, and then had an arm part that I couldn’t remember, so I just knit in ribbing, with a bit of a thumb gusset, until it fit the way I wanted.

These I’m keeping for myself, but the upcoming ones are going to be headed for my Etsy shop. Just a way to get myself making more things. Especially things that are simple and can be taken along when I go places, since my current cross stitch project is a bit of a pain to drag along.

Harry Potter and the Second Round

After my success with the first Harry Potter costume, the six-year-old requested that I make his cosutme as well. Apparently it is really easy to forget how you did something after a few months.


Eventually, after studying the pictures in the previous post many times, I remembered what I had done to make the coat.

I dyed the muslin black and set to work making the coat.

I also had to find the original picture I had used for embroidering the crest. 

It’s amazing how long it took to see the crest this time, considering I had done the last one in just one night. But I was in more of a time crunch last time.


I finished the crest and attached it about one week before Halloween.

Once again, I also made a scarf to go along with the jacket. But I got glasses from the costume store instead of having to make some from sunglasses.