Actually, the vest is finally finished but I couldn’t come up with a pun for that.
This vest came about because I had a variety of green yarn in similar weights sitting around in my stash. I wanted to do something with it, so I opened up my 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders book and searched through until I found something that matched the approximate weight category.
The Simple Mistake Rib Vest by Karen J. Minott fit the bill perfectly. I didn’t end up having enough of the green (though I did try to gauge it by knitting with the rest of the yarn in pattern for enough stitches for the front. I did not take into account the neckline increases and fooled myself into thinking I had enough), so I added some blue at the bottom front since the vest is knit from the bottom back hem up and over to the front hem. I did both front panels at the same time so they would run out of yarn at the same time, and also because shirts take a long time and I would’ve procrastinated even more if I had to do another front panel after finishing the first one.
To tie it all together (and because I was already out of green yarn) I worked the crocheted edging all around the neck, hem, and armholes in the blue yarn. The edging is only called for on the neckline, but I thought it would look less out of place or like I had run out of yarn if I added it to the bottom and arms. I also sewed the side seams with that blue yarn, even though you don’t see it as much from the outside.
To make the button more stable, I used two of the same button to sandwich the edge and make it sturdy.
All in all, this is a great stash-busting pattern. I would say if you have a bunch of yarn in the same weight but different colors, striping them in could make a really nice vest with this pattern. Or you could always just use the same yarn throughout and have a really polished garment.