For those who don’t know, blog awards are kind of like YouTube or Tumblr tags. Someone nominates you and you follow a set of instructions and then tag a certain number of other people. It’s intended to create more community for bloggers, who are more “separated” than users of other social media platforms. Not that we don’t use those, but this is a way to interact more within the actual blogs.
A little over a month ago (because I am really slow about these sorts of things), I was nominated for the Liebster Award by The Very Special Blog. Without any further ado, my answers to her questions:
- What is your guilty pleasure TV show?
Not having cable, I mainly watch my (mostly Simpsons) DVDs. But, if I happen to be babysitting when it is on, I do like to catch episodes of Branson Famous. It’s so cheesy, but addicting.
- What’s the weirdest, most random thing you’ve ever found in your pocket?
I’ve only ever found old money in my pockets, but I routinely find random, dismembered Lego people in the kids’ laundry.
- Are you a coffee person, tea person, or both?
At least one cup of coffee in the morning and at least one cup of tea in the afternoon.
- Who is your favorite member of The Baby-Sitter’s Club?
You know, I don’t think I ever actually read the Baby-Sitter’s Club books and I don’t remember much from the TV show, but I was obsessed with the “Little Sister” series, so I guess I’ll have to say Kristy. Mostly because she is the only one I remember. Also, can we talk about how the teenagers in these series have the trendy names like Kristy and Stacey while the elementary-aged kids were named like 80-year-olds with names like Karen and Nancy?
- What’s the farthest place you’ve ever travelled from home?
That would have to be the time I went to Paris. Which is the only time I’ve ever left the country.
- What is your favorite thing about blogging?
Getting to write whatever I want to write. I’ve always felt weird writing in a diary, but having an “audience” makes it seem less weird.
- If you could go to any concert at any time, anywhere in the world, what would you see and why?
Foo Fighters, anywhere, anytime. I love passion in music, and it seriously doesn’t get any more passionate than this: (Language warning at the end. Because, hey, it is Dave Grohl after all.)
Seriously, what other rock stars would let themselves get this giddy about playing in concert with legends and not being trying to act cool? Screw reputations, get on with the rock!
- If you absolutely had to change your hair into the style of one of the original Charlie’s Angels would you pick The Farrah, The Jaclyn, or The Kate?
Probably The Farrah. I mean, let’s face it, she always had the best hair.
- What is the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
I’m just going to refer this question to my post about “A Talking Cat!?!”.
- What is your favorite book that you’ve read in the past year?
I can’t really recall reading more than one actual book last year (all the way through, that is), but the one I did was fantastic: Make Up: Your Life Guide To Beauty Style and Success – Online and Off. You can read my review of it here.
- If you could only write with one item for the rest of your life, would you choose a pen or a pencil?
Being mainly left-handed, I’d have to say pen, as long as it is one of the felt-tip kind that works for either hand and dries fast enough not to smear under my hand.
And now for 11 Random Facts:
- I am left-handed, but I chose in kindergarten for one reason or another to learn to write with my right hand. I’ve since gone back to mostly writing with my left hand, but I never learned cursive left-handed. This mean that when I fill out forms I write the printed parts with one hadn and have to switch hands to sign at the bottom.
- I can play piano, flute, guitar, ukulele, saxophone, and violin at varying levels of competency.
- I was a baton twirler for 9 years (8 years competitive), and I still pull the sticks out every once in a while.
- I have an AA degree in fashion design. This is a thing that even I forget most of the time, since I have been working childcare pretty much since I graduated.
- I have ridiculously blonde hair. Like, this stuff is transparent at my temples. It makes me look like I’m going bald when the dye grows out of my hair. That is, when the hair actually takes the dye at all.
- I did one day of background work on Disney’s movie Prom. This is the closest I ever got to attending a high school dance.
- I watched enough Degrassi: The Next Generation in middle/high school to develop a faintly Canadian accent. Well, that and (by my completely un-scientific guessing) approximately 50% of US children’s TV is made in Canada.
- I still watch VHS tapes. Not just keep them around, I actually watch them frequently. Turns out baby loves the same limited animation eighties books on film that I grew up watching.
- I have reached (as my mom pointed out) “Norm” status at the Starbucks on the corner. Because I am in there every other day for breakfast…or lunch…or a snack…
- I have had at least 5 different blogs on at least 3 different platforms since 2004 (not counting MySpace, because those “blogs” were just bulletin board posts).
- This is the post that has taken the most thought and work ever. Out of all of those blogs.
This is the part where I have to nominate other people, so I am choosing:
- My Mom
- Knit The Hell Out
- Little Thread Crafts
- and (copping out on number 5) whoever else wants to do this one
And here are the 11 questions I’m going to ask:
- If you could live in any fictional “universe”, which would you choose?
- Where is one place you would never go?
- If you weren’t born in the decade you were born in, in which decade do you think you would have been born?
- Would you rather be famous for no particular reason, or have an incredible talent that makes you happy and is recognized by no one else?
- If you had to listen to one song on repeat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up? And, is it still a goal if it isn’t what you are now?
- Which talent do you not currently possess, but wish you did?
- What is the best advice you have ever been given?
- Warm, cool, or neutral colors? (For what is up to you to decide, or just in general.)
- What lead you to your current job?
- The Ultimate Question: Digital, CD, or Vinyl?
And here are the Official Rules of the Liebster Award:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.)
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
Once you have written and published it, you then have to: