I have been cranking out pattern designs and putting them on my Redbubble shop pretty regularly the past month or so. But I’ve also been wanting to make plain fabric with them. This week I got in the proofs for four of them, and they are now for sale!
I am super excited for these, and already have a few more waiting to be proofed. Just trying to hold off on buying massive amounts of these fabrics to make things out of.
I’ve been weaving off and on for a while now. With all the small amounts of yarn left over after knitting and crochet projects, I have plenty of yarn that works for these weavings. It’s a great way to use up the bits that are bigger than scraps, but smaller than what I would need for a bigger project.
I’ve been working away at a shawl for the past couple months, having to stop and rip it out about three different times before finally getting it going, but I’ve also got quite a few other projects cranked out in the same amount of time. First up were some washcloths.
My mom was wanting some washcloths for the kitchen at work, but couldn’t really find anything for a good price. Then I offered to make some to donate instead. Got one of those giant cones of cotton yarn off Amazon and set to work, carrying them with me everywhere in case I had a few minutes to work on them.
I managed to sew them on while simultaneously teaching “school at home” because the teachers decided to go on strike this week. I’m not letting these kids fall behind on the already ridiculously low standards of the California school system.
I’ve got a problem with buying fabric remnants. You know, those leftover bits at the end of the bolt that fabric stores conveniently wrap up and put on deep discount to clear up shelf space. I really shouldn’t let myself go near those racks. Or let my mother go near them either. I think it’s a hereditary thing.
Anyway, this has led to us having quite the stash of fabrics that are less than a yard long. I wanted to trim this down, so I came up with the perfect solution: drawstring bags.
I had followed a Craftsy tutorial many years back to make a drawstring bag that I use for projects, so I thought this would be a great use of those remnants. I mapped up in illustrator how many bags I could get out of a single yard of fabric (it is two at this 9×9 size for all pieces, including the drawstring), and created myself some pattern pieces out of plain paper. Then I set about cutting as many of each piece as I could out of each fabric.
Once I had all the fabrics I had gathered cut, I had to figure out how to match them up since there weren’t always enough to make each one the same combination. I matched everything up that I could and sewed all the pieces assembly-line style, because that is my favorite way to do anything.
I’ve only got four combinations up right now at my Etsy shop, but I am working to get more put up in the coming weeks.
I also started experimenting with some heat-transfer vinyl, but I have to perfect that method before I’m ready to do any personalization since I don’t have a cutting machine and am just using an exacto knife.