Block Party Round 2

Recently I completed another Instagram challenge, the Block Party with Gina. It’s run by Gina of Ridge and Roots (hence the “with Gina” portion of the name) and it’s a block printing challenge in which you create a new block print each week for five weeks. This was the second version of the challenge, and I feel like I did much better this time than the first time.

The first week’s prompt was “Celestial”. I went with a ringed planet with moons and stars surrounding it. I printed this one with a gradient in two different colorways.

The second week’s prompt was “delicate”. I decided to go with the tiny flowers that grow on the tree right outside the back door. In this case, I printed the outline and then finished it up with watercolors. I also decided this time to turn some of the prints into blank greeting cards. They are available on my Etsy shop under the Stationary heading.

Week three coincided with Earth Week, so the prompt was “Our Earth, Our Home”. I decided to go along with a little forrest nook, and the tiny owl friend in the tree is quite possibly the favorite thing I ended up making in this whole challenge. I’m definitely planning to do a bigger owl soon.

Week four brought the “(insert song lyrics here)” prompt. I had, of course, had the recently released Fiona Apple album “Fetch The Boltcutters” on repeat (it makes a great workout soundtrack, by the way) for the entire week, and those lyrics along with a Leslie Jordan Instagram post lead to the idea of being inside your own head.

The final week was “Mind, Body, Spirit”, and I had to include both coffee and music. I had originally intended to make a bright, hot purple, but the mauve ended up suiting the block really well.

All of the results of these blocks, both cards and prints, are all available on my Etsy store (along with some fabric face masks, if you are still looking for some).


Find me on Instagram, Etsy, and Twitter.

Patchwork Throw Blanket Pattern

I’ve been working on creating a throw blanket pattern for the past few months. It’s gone through a few different iterations in that time. Started out using Caron Chunky Cakes in a lovely blue variegated color way for one of my grandmothers’ birthday:

I loved working with the yarn and was set to make another blanket for my other grandmother whose birthday is a few weeks later. Until I went to the store and there wasn’t any. I found the Caron Tea Cakes with enough balls in the same color way, so I thought I would just switch to developing the pattern in that yarn. You know, until someone informed me that yarn has been discontinued for years:

So I switched yarns again to one I know will be in stock, Loops and Threads Charisma, specifically the Big! version because it took fewer balls:

Now the pattern is finally finished! I have it listed in my Ravelry shop for $1 if you are a Ravelry user, or you can buy it right now by clicking this button:


Find me on Instagram, Etsy, and Twitter.

Back to the Sewing Machine

I’ve been working on many, many long-term projects: blankets, a shawl, a cross-stitch portrait, and a cross-stitch stitch along. I needed to do something that I could start and finish in one afternoon.

Two white and gray shirts with long sleeves that have large stripes at the wrists laying on a wooden floor, on on top of the other. The bottom shirt is gray with white sleeves with gray stripes. The top shirt is white at the top half and gray at the bottom half with gray sleeves with white stripes.

When I found out Itch to Stitch had a couple free patterns, I decided to make the Uvita Top. Then, when I got to planning it out on the fabric, I decided to make two because I had enough of both fabrics.

White and gray shirt on a tan cushion.

I knew that I wanted to make stripes on the sleeves, so I pulled two colors of knit fabric out of the drawer. When I realized I had enough of the white, I chose to make one set of sleeves white with gray stripes and one gray with white stripes. I didn’t quite have enough white to do a completely white shirt. So I chose to do an all-around yoke of white on the shirt with gray sleeves.

Gray shirt on tan cushion.

To make the sleeves, I started with squares of each fabric and cut strips starting from the bottom, alternating 3 inches wide and 2 inches wide for two stripes. Then I sewed the stripes and top of the fabric together, first with a single needle zigzag and then sewing the seam down with a double needle into the white sections. Once I had the fabric prepped, I folded it in half and cut out the sleeve pieces.

Detail shot of shirt sleeves at the stripes.

I cut out the shirt body pieces of the shirt from the gray fabric, then cut the paper pattern to make a yoke piece and body piece, laid the yoke on the white fabric and added half an inch of seam allowance to the bottom, and did the reverse to the body piece on the gray fabric (meaning I added the seam allowance to the top).

Detail shot of white and gray shirt where gray and white meet with a double line of stitching in the white portion.

I sewed all the seams with a single needle zigzag stitch and then sewed all the hems with the double needle.

Detail shot of the double line of stitching at the hem of both shirts, stacked on top of each other.

All in all, this pattern was super easy to follow, and super easy to modify with the styling. The end result is super comfortable, and it only took an afternoon to finish.


Find me on Instagram, Etsy, and Twitter.