Back in the summer I got a ball of Lion Brand Jeans Yarn to try it out. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make with it, but eventually decided that I wanted some type of headband. After some seraching on Ravelry, I found this 50s Style Knotted Headband.
Because it used so little of the yarn, I made more in every size, infant to adult.
On a completely unrelated subject, I just saw that my 11th blogiversary passed in October. Unfortunately, no posts from that year remain, but here is a link to my oldest remaining post which is, appropriately, a Thanksgiving computer background. I should do some more of those things and post them on my Ko-Fi this year.
I knew this shawl had been hanging arounf for a while, but I did not realize I had started it in February 2019. That means it took me almost 18 months, ignoring the fact that it apparently took three attempts to get started, from start to finish.
Not that I worked on it consistently, of course. I was focusing on it for a while, especially when it was small and a row took under 10 minutes.
Once I ran out of the pink, which was some hand-dyed Knit Picks Shadow Bare that I had dyed with drink powder, and moved on to the white, the rows started taking longer and I started getting bored more easily. It started getting set aside for longer intervals, though it did get dragged along to sports practices.
Once I ran out of white and hit the blue, the rows were taking at least 30 minutes each. Not to mention the sheer amount of markers I needed and how paperclips get tangled into stitches so often.
Still, I kept dragging it along whenever we went out, because that is how I could force myself to work on it without getting distracted by other things I’d rather be doing.
But sometimes I would be able to focus at home while doing other projects that didn’t require my full focus.
It eventually got to the point where each row was taking an hour, so I tried to fit in partial rows whenever I could.
Don’t even ask how long the picot edge binding off took. It was spread over days, possibly even weeks. I honestly can’t remember at this point because it took so long. But it is finished, it is giant, and it is up in my Etsy shop.
I had originally intended to write up the pattern for this, but I don’t think anyone really wants to make a shawl this big that takes this long. Maybe I will revisit it and make some adjustments to reduce the size and write it up smaller.
Recently I completed another Instagram challenge, the Block Party with Gina. It’s run by Gina of Ridge and Roots (hence the “with Gina” portion of the name) and it’s a block printing challenge in which you create a new block print each week for five weeks. This was the second version of the challenge, and I feel like I did much better this time than the first time.
The first week’s prompt was “Celestial”. I went with a ringed planet with moons and stars surrounding it. I printed this one with a gradient in two different colorways.
The second week’s prompt was “delicate”. I decided to go with the tiny flowers that grow on the tree right outside the back door. In this case, I printed the outline and then finished it up with watercolors. I also decided this time to turn some of the prints into blank greeting cards. They are available on my Etsy shop under the Stationary heading.
Week three coincided with Earth Week, so the prompt was “Our Earth, Our Home”. I decided to go along with a little forrest nook, and the tiny owl friend in the tree is quite possibly the favorite thing I ended up making in this whole challenge. I’m definitely planning to do a bigger owl soon.
Week four brought the “(insert song lyrics here)” prompt. I had, of course, had the recently released Fiona Apple album “Fetch The Boltcutters” on repeat (it makes a great workout soundtrack, by the way) for the entire week, and those lyrics along with a Leslie Jordan Instagram post lead to the idea of being inside your own head.
The final week was “Mind, Body, Spirit”, and I had to include both coffee and music. I had originally intended to make a bright, hot purple, but the mauve ended up suiting the block really well.
All of the results of these blocks, both cards and prints, are all available on my Etsy store (along with some fabric face masks, if you are still looking for some).