Back in January, I started creating a pattern while out on a walk, and joked that I would have to name it something with walk in the title. The result is the Walk in the Park Mitts, and the pattern is finally finished! This pattern is available on my Ko-fi Shop, Ribblr, and LoveCrafts.
It features crossed slip stitches that create the feeling of walking through grass or a drifting park path. The pattern is sized for sizes X-Small (6 inches around, 6 inches tall, modeled below by a 9 year old) through X-Large (8 inches around, 8 inches long), making it great for anyone 8 years old and up.
Because of the crossed stitches, I have labeled this pattern as intermediate, but could be good for an adventurous beginner ready to dip their toes into cable knitting without requiring a cable needle.
Yarn – 1 ball of Premier Yarns Anti-Pilling Everyday DK (approximate yardage for each size: 100(125,150,175,200) yards)
Size 6 circular or double point needles, depending on personal preference
Stitch markers (optional for marking beginning of round)
I started the purple pair in November 2020, but had to put it down for a while in a vain attempt to get holiday presents made. I got two holiday presents made, and one is still being worked on, so after I finally gave up on those for the holidays I went back to the socks.
Once I finished them, I knew I wanted to create a pattern out of them. I wrote it up and ordered a second ball of Felici through Amazon, which happened to be the only ball of it they had available to order, so I could go through and make sure I got every step written down.
I love a good fraternal pair of socks, and this pattern means you can get a full pair of ankle socks from one ball of yarn. I work them two at a time, toe up, magic loop style, but the pattern can also be worked one at a time.
The purple pair uses my trusty go-to of Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, but for the blue pair I used a Long Tail Tubular Bind Off for the first time. Probably going to stick to my regular bind off for socks, but perhaps on things I’m already doing in 1×1 rib I will go for the tubular bind off. Switching from 2×2 to 1×1 was a bit fussy and not as fast.
I used a bit of a waffle pattern for the top of the sock, which looks really cool in the stripes, and my favorite heel flap and gusset construction for the heel with the slip stitch pattern carried up into the gusset for extra reinforcement.
Now for the pattern information:
These ankle socks are perfect for when you really want a certain color way of Knit Picks Felici yarn, but only manage to snag a single ball. They are meant to not match exactly, so you don’t have to worry about finding the color repeats.
Worked toe-up, this pattern is also perfect for personalizing to your exact size. Just try it on as you go! Instructions for tweaking the pattern to fit your foot length are given in the instep section. Just be warned that you might not be able to go much longer than the original pattern without adding in a second ball of yarn because there is very little left over at the end.
This pattern is written specifically for Knit Picks Felici yarn, but can be made in any fingering weight yarn with which you can achieve 7 stitches and 9 rows rows per inch. It requires a knowledge of both knit and purl stitches, and experience with knitting in the round is recommended.
If you use Ravelry (or even if you don’t and want to buy it there), you can get it here: buy now
This pattern works up so quickly in the bulky yarns that I was able to make two within the two months of the pattern test, even with having to wait for two different yarn shipments to come in. The sweaters feature raglan sleeves and a split hem, along with an optional neckline zipper. I added the zipper into the first version, but I left it off the second one.
I did modify the second one slightly by starting in the size 34 instructions and then increasing to the size 38 instructions for the body to give a bit of a closer fit in the shoulders and the regular amount of positive ease. I also created stripes in the second one by changing colors every 20 rows in the body after doing the top section in a single color. In fact, I ended up with more stripes than I intended because I was using some old yarn that I had and some new and the dye lots were so different that it let me create different stripes out of the same color.