Another Cross Stitched Beanie

A while back I tested the pattern for the Cross Stitched Beanie by Ila Quinn Designs. During the test, I made two versions, one in the original yarn and another in a different yarn that was available at the store because I wanted to make sure I had enough time to make the hat. (I’m wearing the hat made from the original yarn in my profile picture.)

When I finished my test of the Trusty Tunisian Tee (coming soon!) by The Graceful Tangle, I had most of a ball of Lion Brand Mandala Ombré left in the colorway Happy. I figured another Cross Stitched Beanie was in order, and I happened to have just enough left to make the hat and pompom with no leftovers.

I had to fiddle with the gauge a bit because I was a little wide on the stitch gauge and short on the row gauge, so this hat was made with the stitch count of the medium size and the row count of the XL. It worked out perfectly, even if it did take a few tries to get the right stitch count attached to the band.

I’m still trying to decide whether I will keep this one for myself or put it in the pile for Christmas, but I do know I really like it in this yarn.


Find me on Ko-Fi, Instagram, Ribblr, Etsy, and Twitter.

Knit Cotton Tee Shirt – Finished!

This shirt started from a tutorial posted by Lauren of Motherofpurl1 on Instagram on how to do an I-cord cast on. I knew immediately I needed to make a shirt with one, and I had a good handful of this DMC Natura yarn left in my stash from a trip to France about 8 years ago.

I wasn’t sure about getting the collar over my head, so I decided to add a small keyhole opening to the back and left myself a long enough tail to crochet a small chain of a few stitches to act as a buttonhole. I even had a near-perfect match of a tiny button in my button bin. (And the opening ended up being completely unnecessary, but it’s cute)

I used each yarn until I ran out of what I had left, hence the uneven stripes. But I managed to have similar enough amounts to make it look like the stripes are intentionally large and small like that.

I ended the bottom and the sleeves with just some 2×2 ribbing and my usual bind off of Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. Because of the natural yarn restrictions, I did the sleeve edges right after connecting the body at the underarm before using the rest of the pink yarn in the body.

I did very minimal shaping at the chest, just a few increases above and decreases below on the front, plus a few increases at the sides of the hips, but mainly the body is just plain stockinette after the raglan sleeves.

This was just a stash-busting project for myself and not an actual design, but it was a fun “mindless” knit between a bunch of design projects and a test project for another designer.


Find me on Ko-Fi, Instagram, Ribblr, Etsy, and Twitter.