Patchwork Throw Blanket Pattern

I’ve been working on creating a throw blanket pattern for the past few months. It’s gone through a few different iterations in that time. Started out using Caron Chunky Cakes in a lovely blue variegated color way for one of my grandmothers’ birthday:

I loved working with the yarn and was set to make another blanket for my other grandmother whose birthday is a few weeks later. Until I went to the store and there wasn’t any. I found the Caron Tea Cakes with enough balls in the same color way, so I thought I would just switch to developing the pattern in that yarn. You know, until someone informed me that yarn has been discontinued for years:

So I switched yarns again to one I know will be in stock, Loops and Threads Charisma, specifically the Big! version because it took fewer balls:

Now the pattern is finally finished! I have it listed in my Ravelry shop for $1 if you are a Ravelry user, or you can buy it right now by clicking this button:


Find me on Instagram, Etsy, and Twitter.

Sorting Squares

I finished my squares for my blanket project a couple weeks ago, and now I am on to the sorting and blanketifying process. (Let’s all just pretend that is a real word and move on, shall we.) The sorting process is moving much quicker than the knitting or end weaving processes.

I started by dumping them all out and splitting them by neutral, warm and cool colors so there would be less to separate in each group. Plus I had three bags to put these in and splitting them that way made the most sense.

Then I took each group and sorted by main color. IN this picture of the cool colors, I have purple, blue, and green, even though there are many different shades in each. Those piles were then separated further into their shades, counted, and bagged with the number on them.

Once I had them separated, I went ahead and roughly measured them to even further group them by size. This will come in handy when I go to join them together into blankets.

Of course, at first I neglected to realize my L-square actually measures from the outside edge so everything I was measuring was coming out an inch larger than it really was. I fixed that and catalogued all the colors and sizes in a nice little spreadsheet for even easier reference when I’m setting up the blankets.

Quick facts from the chart:

  • The most popular size of square was five inches by five inches
  • This was a little surprising since I set out to make four inch by four inch squares originally

  • The color that was made into the most squares was white.
  • The only color to not have a five by five square was teal.
  • I managed to only make the cornflower blue squares five inches by five inches.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

400 Stitches in 60 Days (Take Two)

Okay, let me try this again.

I recently got the book 400 Knitting Stitches as a resource for my knitting. As I started looking through all the different stitch patterns, I saw many cool patterns I wanted to try. With way too many random piles of leftover acrylic yarns I don’t want to use for any other projects, I decided to turn this book into a project.

I’m casting on somewhere around 21 stitches for each (depending on the number of stitches needed for the pattern), including 4 edge stitches (2 on each side). Obviously there is going to be some variation in the sizes. Once I’m done I’ll stitch them together into blankets for Project Linus.

As the title implies, I’m going to attempt to do this in just 2 months. I started on March 29, so I hope to be done making the squares by May 28. Then I will start the blanket-making process, hopefully getting done within a week or so. Because I don’t want to be making blankets in the middle of summer, even kid-sized blankets.

When I first came up with the idea for this, I thought I’d post the pictures of the ones I’d done every day. Not going to happen. But the photos of all the squares can be found in this album, updated frequently.