I finished my squares for my blanket project a couple weeks ago, and now I am on to the sorting and blanketifying process. (Let’s all just pretend that is a real word and move on, shall we.) The sorting process is moving much quicker than the knitting or end weaving processes.
I started by dumping them all out and splitting them by neutral, warm and cool colors so there would be less to separate in each group. Plus I had three bags to put these in and splitting them that way made the most sense.
Then I took each group and sorted by main color. IN this picture of the cool colors, I have purple, blue, and green, even though there are many different shades in each. Those piles were then separated further into their shades, counted, and bagged with the number on them.
Once I had them separated, I went ahead and roughly measured them to even further group them by size. This will come in handy when I go to join them together into blankets.
Of course, at first I neglected to realize my L-square actually measures from the outside edge so everything I was measuring was coming out an inch larger than it really was. I fixed that and catalogued all the colors and sizes in a nice little spreadsheet for even easier reference when I’m setting up the blankets.
Quick facts from the chart:
- The most popular size of square was five inches by five inches
- The color that was made into the most squares was white.
- The only color to not have a five by five square was teal.
- I managed to only make the cornflower blue squares five inches by five inches.
This was a little surprising since I set out to make four inch by four inch squares originally