I was reminded yesterday to check out whether the online math game I recorded vocals for in the beginning of the year was up, and it is! This is my first credited voice over project, and I am so excited.
The game is Monsters Vs Fractions Episode 2: Food Frenzy, and I voiced the character Ruby. There is also an Episode 1 available that I wasn’t involved in, but is a really good intro to fractions for elementary students. It’s aimed at 3rd-5th grade, but Episode 1 is a really visual intro that I’d say could even work for a 1st or 2nd grader.
If you are looking for something to keep an elementary kid busy over the holidays, this game is free to play and browser-based so it can be played on any computer or device. There is also an app for episode 1 that is available for iPad.
All of this is not an ad, just me sharing something that I’m really excited to have been a part of.
Back in the summer I got a ball of Lion Brand Jeans Yarn to try it out. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make with it, but eventually decided that I wanted some type of headband. After some seraching on Ravelry, I found this 50s Style Knotted Headband.
Because it used so little of the yarn, I made more in every size, infant to adult.
On a completely unrelated subject, I just saw that my 11th blogiversary passed in October. Unfortunately, no posts from that year remain, but here is a link to my oldest remaining post which is, appropriately, a Thanksgiving computer background. I should do some more of those things and post them on my Ko-Fi this year.
I have participated in the #BlockPartyWithGina Instagram challenge run by Gina of Ridge and Roots three times now (but somehow only wrote a wrap up post once), and it really is something I look forward to every time it is announced. Though I am realizing that the things I want to do with block printing might require some different tools and perhaps a little more time dedicated to each block. I always feel like I’m rushing each design because I procrastinate too much in the beginning stages.
It’s tough to pick my favorite block this time around, but I do love that I figrued out a way to do two-colored prints. Might’ve gone overboard by doing so many of them with that technique, though. I think that caused a lot of my rushing this time.
These little ones that I framed are some of my favorites. They are currently available on my Etsy shop.
This design I originally wanted to do half this size to be the front of a card, but I wasnt’ able to get the definition I wanted. Instead of continuing on and forcing myself to finish something I didn’t like, I restarted and made it full size. I like it way more this way. It’s also available on my Etsy page.
This design is the first one that I actually abandoned. I kept trying and trying to fix it, but couldn’t get it to do what I wanted. Eventually I got so frustrated with it that I stepped away from the whole block party project for a week, despite knowing what I wanted to do for the next design.
Once I finally admitted to myself that I wasn’t happy with the direction this card was going, I was able to move on and make something that I did end up really ahppy with, even though it didn’t quite turn out the way I wanted it to, either.
Unfortunately, because I backed this block in cardboard, I was unable to get as consistent prints as I wanted with this block, it’s not ready to be on my Etsy. I am going to fix the mounting issues and make a better run of them soon, hopefully to post before the cut off for the holidays.
I think my favorite of all to make was this final print. The print portion was done in a single color, but I embossed the spiders indiviually after printing. I didn’t get these finished in time to list before Halloween this year, but I’ll hold onto them to list in time for Halloween next year.
All in all, I think this Block Party was the best yet. I learned a lot that I want to implement in my printing, and I made quite a few blocks I was really happy with. Next on my to-do list, printing on fabric!