…making a bad pun, apparently. See, for this butterfly:
I used the tempera/India ink resist method to create the black outlines.
If you don’t know how an ink resist is done, here is the method I use:
- Draw the basic outlines, mainly of the parts that need to be black in the final product.
- Fill in the parts that need to stay white with a white tempera/gouache paint. Let that dry at least overnight.
- Cover the entire paper with India ink and let it dry.
- Rinse the paper under water and gently scrub the underlying paint off.
- Let the paper dry, then use watercolors to fill in the other colors.
It takes a few days, but I like how it turned out. Probably should have used a tougher paper to stand up to the washing, but it works well enough.