The Finishing Touch

Remember my mesh t-shirt I made a while back? Well, I wore it once and then tossed it in my repair bin. Not because it fell apart when I washed it, but because I didn’t like the way the bottom looked.

It was constantly riding up as I wore the shirt, plus it just looked unfinished as a raw edge:

So I decided to do something about it. I picked up stitches across the bottom at a ratio of 4 in every large space (I think it’s a chain 3 space?) and 1 in each small space (between two single crochet stitches).

Then I knit that in a 2×2 rib on size 4 needles for about an inch, bound off with Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off, and wove in the ends. Basically a 30-minute project that gives the piece the finished look it was missing.

Being 100% cotton yarn, the ribbing doesn’t actually hold anything in place. The extra inch seems to help in not feeling like the shirt is riding up all the time, though. Or perhaps that is thanks to the jeans I was wearing holding onto the new waistband. Either way, I’m liking the shirt much better now. Amazing how much difference something so small can make.

Advertisements

Share Your Thoughts:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s